Friday, June 24, 2011

What is it about soccer players? Take One

So a little story time....

I've been playing soccer since I can remember. I probably started playing soccer before I could write my name. I was never the fastest on the team or the one who scored the most points. As a matter of fact, when I was old enough to actually play a position, I kept on the defense in the back as a sweeper. But I held my own and its always been a sport I enjoy, even though I'm not the most athletic person in the world.

Flash back to middle school. It's the middle of summer of the summer season and our team is away at a weekend tournament. This particular weekend happens to be one of the absolute hottest of the entire summer and the heat is so bad we are required to take water breaks every fifteen minutes so none of us pass out. But of course we're all tough midwestern soccer players so we are exhausting ourselves any way and playing probably harder than we'd played all summer long.
I'm playing sweeper in the back and its the last few minutes of the first half and a member of the opposite team comes sprinting at me with the ball, looking at if she's coming for blood. I come up from the side and end up knocking both of us to the ground as the whistle blows to end the half. I get up and reach to give her a hand when I finally get a look at her face...and the only thought thats going through my head is that she is one of the most beautiful girls I've ever seen. We make that awkward middle school eye contact for what seems like an hour and then sprint to our respective benches. But all through half-time, I sneak glimpses across the field and without fail, always catch this mysterious athlete looking my way.

The second half is a bit of blur because no matter how hard I try to concentrate on that little black and white ball shooting around the field, all that is on my mind is that girl. We ended up loosing the game but as always, we run in to shake hands with the other team. I'm at the end of the line because of the absent minded state this girl has put me in. I get to the end of the line and someone from the other team has decided to hold onto my hand instead of a simple shake, so I look up...and there she is. The minute I make eye contact, she lets go.

And thats the moment I fell in love with a soccer player...and I've never been able to shake them since. There's just something about soccer players that always steals my heart. More about that one later ;)

Here's a beautiful Pride weekend!
Much love.
-LintheTC

No comments:

Post a Comment